Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Post #8: F. Scott Fitzgerald

Having never read anything by F. Scott Fitzgerald, I didn't know what to expect. And even after reading "Diamond as Big as the Ritz," I was still somewhat at a loss. I certainly did not foresee what was going to happen. Not only was I doubtful of Percy, but of Unger as well. He was surrounded by so much wealth and impossibility, yet he did not have a reaction for any of it. It did not seem believable. Then things took a turn. When he had drank the port and become so out of it that he did not even sense the servant bathing him, I had began to question if he was poisoned, as well as Percy's motives. I found it to be an odd story and was not sure of Fitzgerald's style. That being said, I'm intrigued to look into more of his work.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Percy was a curious character and the story had a strange, unbelievable feel to it. The story was rather intriguing and it made me want to read more of his works as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story was definitely different from what I expected, but that compelled me to keep reading. Along with what's already been said, I thought it was strange that Unger would agree to vacation with Percy when he knew so little about him. He didn't seem to concerned with his personal safety until the reality of his situation was spelled out for him; while I have to admit that it would be cool to experience that kind of extreme extravagance, I would hope that I would pay a little bit more attention to the little hints along the way that something wasn't quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a strange story even within Fitzgerald's body of work.

    ReplyDelete